|photo courtesy of bravotv.com|
Anyone who grew up wanting to be an actor imagined themselves as a guest on 'Inside the Actors Studio' with host, James Lipton. So, when news broke of Lipton passing today at 93 from bladder cancer, all thespians and creatives, alike were devastated. Not just because we would never have our chance to get our interview but because we would never get to see another amazing episode ever again. Lipton hosted the likes of Paul Newman, Meryl Streep, Sir Ian McKellen, Barbra Streisand, Sir Elton John, and the delectable Betty White. Lipton hosted the series from 1994 through 2018 though it still runs with other hosts, yet never the same. He was able to get everyone who sat next to him to not only feel comfortable but gave them the forum to open up in a way where, even though they were sitting in front of a studio full of eager students, it felt like just two friends hanging out and chatting.
James let loose and garnered so much respect from both the famous and the hungry for a touch of notoriety. Fun fact: Lipton was actually the Dean Emeritus of the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University NYC. Despite his dignified way of speaking, James was born Louis James Lipton in Detroit, a Virgo baby. He led a fun and fascinating life, studying at Wayne University but leaving after a year. He wanted to be a lawyer but turned to acting and writing, becoming the head writer on 'Guiding Light' which he also acted in. He was married twice but admitted to having a penchant for Parisian prostitutes in the fifties. Lipton was also a pilot and, by the time of his passing, had been one for four decades.
He leaves behind wife, Kedakai Turner Lipton and a legacy like no other. And now it is time for our favorite part of the show: the infamous 10 questions James Lipton always asked his guests. We will answer them, honestly and truthfully, in honor of James and encourage everyone who ever wanted to be on the show to take the time to do the same. Here we go!
1) What is your favorite word? Yes
2) What is your least favorite word? Supper
3) What turns you on? Success
4) What turns you off? Failure
5) What sound or noise do you love? Winning on a slot machine
6) What sound or noise do you hate? Animals or people in pain
7) What is your favorite curse word? Da fuck but I spell fuck with a q so it looks a little fancier.
8) What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Rock star.
9) What profession would you not like to do? Garbage person
10) If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? You're late...and your mom is over here.
And now James, your students...